Monday, December 7, 2009

An accident spawns a column

The timestamp on the column read 7:22 p.m., which is when the post was initiated. Four hours later, the screen was as white as a puffy cumulus cloud on an early spring day.

Writer's block -- something every journalist experiences. At least, I like to think so.

First of all, I thought about things I wanted, which didn't lead to much. Second, I thought about trying to write something funny about some people I disdain, which didn't lead to much.

Suddenly, a column idea was conceived.

"Oh crap!" THUD!

A fall from my bed caused my foot to impact the bottom-right corner of the screen, rendering the screen of my four-and-a-half-month-old laptop useless. The $550 necessity is nothing more than a paper weight now.

The formation of the distorted screen almost looks like the side of a snow-packed mountain. If only I were that lucky.


Is that the Abominable Snowman?


In a state of shock, thoughts began racing through my head.

"How am I going to finish my homework? How much is it going to cost to fix this? Should I just get a new one? How the hell did I fall off the bed?"

Speaking to the latter, it was just one of those everyday accidents that are purely inexplicable.

However, those were all afterthoughts. The accident birthed this column.

The cracked, hopeless screen, starting me in the face, screamed "column." Everything from the mishap itself to the coincidental screen formation to the newest addition to the Christmas list just made for a writing opportunity.

A new laptop immediately jumps to the top of my Christmas list. I keep telling people not to get my anything for Jesus' birthday, but I might change my tune now.

Either that, or the current one needs to be repaired. Extended warranties are something I usually laugh at, but I'm desperately wishing I had purchased one nearly five months ago. Taking into account the time, cost and effort, it might just be better to purchase a new one. At least there should be some good deals during the holiday season.

As a journalism student, a laptop is a necessity, rather than a luxury -- which could be said for pretty much any student these days. I use my computer every single day, as all journalists do. Now I'm going to have to improvise, especially with finals coming up.

In the end, this was a blessing in disguise. Sitting here with a blank screen not knowing what the hell I was going to write about could have kept me up for hours.

Who am I kidding? I'd rather be sitting here with no ideas and usable laptop screen. At least that wouldn't cost me at least $500.

But, everything happens for a reason. I'm sure said reason will present itself in some fashion soon.

So Santa, if you read this, you know what to get me. I like to think I've been a good boy this year. I guess we'll see in a few weeks.

Merry Christmas to all and to all, chip in for a new lappy for this journalism student.

No comments:

Post a Comment