Tuesday, December 1, 2009

I'm thankful for Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. The food, the family, the football, the fun -- everything about it just appeals to me.

It probably has to do with the fact it's also winter time, which is also my favorite time of year.

In the past, a trip to Southern California was the norm. The trek would begin on late Tuesday night or early Wednesday morning. The six-hour trip to La La land was about the only drag.

My mom, her now ex-husband and my brother made the semi-annual journey to Brentwood, Calif. Yes, the same Brentwood where Orenthal James Simpson didn't murder Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman. But that's a whole other issue.

My mom's ex-husband's family is, for lack of a better phrase, filthy rich. The three-story, $1.5 million estate (at the time) was the gathering place for well over 100 family members on turkey day. The feast was plentiful and exorbitant, as would be expected with so many guests.

As an adolescent and young teenager during the majority of these trips, some of the highlights included being able to see my cousins and other family members who came from out of town. We had a plethora of things to do, including cops & robbers, tag, hide-n-go-seek, video games and once, swimming, were on the menu.

Another attractive part of the trip was just to marvel at the size of the house. I have not been in a house so enormous since and won't be surprised if I never will again.

Since my mom divorced her ex, Thanksgiving hasn't been like that. However, it has been better than any of that material stuff.

The less-extravagant Thanksgivings have made the family get-togethers feel that much closer and special. I know there will always be a turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, Stove Top Stuffing -- the only stuffing anyone should ever eat -- Martinelli's Apple Cider, football -- even if it is a bunch of crappy games -- and most importantly, the people I love most in this world.

The late-afternoon nap that soon follows the midday feast was also something that was highly anticipated. With a tummy full of turkey and fixings, a short nap usually recharges the batteries for a mid-evening second round with the leftovers.

Speaking of leftovers, what would Thanksgiving be like without the next day. I could care less about the crazed shoppers looking to get the best deal on a plasma television. I'm talking about hot turkey sandwiches.

One piece of bread, cold turkey leftover from the day before, hot gravy -- it doesn't get any better than that. So simple, yet so satisfying.

However, the things I enjoy most are the things I am most thankful for: A loving family, an outstanding girlfriend, my health and a roof over my head. That should be the foundation for any successful and happy Thanksgiving. What more could anyone ask for?

Maybe another slice of turkey and a half-way decent football game. The turkey is doable, but I'm not holding my breath on the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment